Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Chicken Veggie and Red Quinoa Medley


I'm in Berkeley again!  I can first tell that I'm back in Berkeley when I smell jasmine and pine as I walk down the street.  Here and there I get some roses and other various flower scents that I can't identify but are divine none-the-less.  Another way I can tell that I'm in Berkeley is when I go to the market and see all the amazing fresh produce gleaming with beauty.  I've never had a white peach as good as the one in my fridge right now.  

So what is the deal with this recipe?  It's a one dish meal which is ideal for my current living situation, aka not my own place.  It has all the essentials, covers all my nutritional bases, and is easy to make.  So what is in it?

1/2 green pepper
1 husk corn (boiled and cut off the husk)
1/2 cup black beans
1/4 cup quinoa
1 stick celery
1/2 tomato
1/4 Ib chicken thighs cut
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 clove garlic
splash lemon juice
dash salt and pepper
1 tsp rice vinegar
       
Directions:
Marinate the chicken in soy sauce and garlic while it defrosts in the refrigerator (Do this beforehand).  Pour quinoa in pot and add water (1:2 ratio quinoa to water) and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.  Wait until quinoa is almost done to cook the chicken.  Chop celery, tomato, corn, green pepper in the meantime.  Add chicken and marinade to the pan.  Simmer and cover about 5 minutes.  Add chopped veggies, black beans, and cooked quinoa until tender.  Add lemon, salt, pepper, rice vinegar.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Deb in Hawaii said...

This looks delicious! Love the blow torch--what fun! ;-)
Congrats on joining Foodie Blogroll! Aloha! Deb